Thursday, February 5, 2009

Hillman Preserve

I took my first walkabout as a D&R Site Steward on the Hillman Preserve today and just had to share the beauty of the property with the other Stewards. I just volunteered and I’m excited about the opportunity to care for this parcel along with my co-stewards Doug and Sue. Before getting into the preserve, I must admit that this if the very first blog I have ever written (yes, I am a blogging virgin) so bear with me.

For those of you not familiar with the Hillman Preserve, it lies just south of Hopewell Borough. The north side runs along Crusher Road high on Hopewell ridge. From there it drops in elevation quickly and thus has numerous rock outcroppings and vistas. The steep hillside is forested with tulip trees, oaks and several species of hickory. The forested area continues to the base of the hillside and along the lower level for a short distance. This was probably the woodlot for the family farm in the 1800’s. The preserve includes 2 large old farm fields and totals about 72 acres. There is a fairly good understory with spicebush and other natives. Unfortunately there are also numerous Japanese barberries, euonymus, honeysuckle and of course, multiflora rose

The Hillman Preserve was absolutely beautiful today with a layer of fresh snow covering the ground and all the branches of the trees and shrubs. From the higher elevations I could see the distant fields and former farm house through the leafless trees. The scene was almost monochromatic in the afternoon sun with the bright snow in stark contrast with the dark trunks and branches of the trees. However, as I picked my way down the steep hillside I discovered a dramatically different scene. In a sheltered cove, basking in full sunlight was a rock wall covered with brilliant green moss glistening with droplets of melted snow. I'm sure there are many more treasures waiting to be found.

It’s a great preserve and I’m looking forward to numerous walks there. As a stewardship project I may select one of the rock overlooks and clear out all the invasive species in the area. It will afford a beautiful vista in all seasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment